It’s not often that one is given an award named after him. The Business Law Section of the American Bar Association has honored longtime Husch Blackwell Partner, now senior counsel with the inaugural
Maury B. Poscover Extraordinary Contribution Award. The award is named after Poscover, who is the former Section Chair and long-time Business Law Section Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates. The award will be presented to Poscover on September 18 at the Business Law Section Annual Lunch at the Hyatt Regency in Chicago.
Poscover is a Senior Counsel within Husch Blackwell’s Food & Agribusiness and Financial Services strategic business units, and has been with Husch Blackwell predecessor firms since 1969. He served as chair of the firm from 1987-96.
Poscover receives the award from his service to the ABA and the Business Law Section. He has served in the ABA House of Delegates for 16 years and his contributions to the House on behalf of the Section are significant. Poscover’s reaction to the award was typical of him, meaning he accepted it with class, “The morning after I heard I was to receive the award and that it will be named for me, I had a dream that 30 years from now a woman would get this award and ask, “Who is the hell is this guy Poscover? Having this very meaningful award named after me is pretty daunting.”
Earlier this year, Poscover was honored with the prestigious Homer Kripke award from the American College of Commercial Finance Lawyers. The Kripke award recognizes a career of noteworthy leadership and a history of exceptional dedication to the improvement of commercial finance law and practice.
Christopher Rockers, a current officer of the Section and Partner at Husch Blackwell says, “Maury has done a phenomenal job of representing the Section. He can build a consensus around an issue, has a wonderful personality and has the unique ability to get things done.”
The list of Poscover’s accomplishments within the Business Law Section is impressive:
- Chair, ABA Business Law Section, 1997-1998
- Delegate to the ABA House of Delegates, 1999-present
- Chair, Commercial Financial Services Committee, 1986-1990
- Former Editor-in-Chief, The Business Lawyer
- Former Editor-in-Chief, Business Law Today
Maury’s outstanding service to the Association includes:
- Member of the Commission on Future of Legal Services, 2014-present
- Board of the ABA Retirement Funds, 2014-present
- American Bar Association House of Delegates, 1999-2015
- Member of the Commission on Future of Legal Services, 2014 Board of the ABA Retirement Funds, 2014
- Standing Committee on Federal Judiciary, 2007-2010
- Board of Governors, 1999-2002
- Nominating Committee 2002-2005 and 2012-2015
- Standing Committee on Membership, Chair 2003-2006