Why It Matters
Diversity is at the very heart of our ability to serve our clients well. A diverse team, with a variety of insights, talents and experiences, provides the fullest range of perspectives and solutions to client matters. We believe that a culture of inclusivity and openness enhances our commitment to serve our clients, profession and community by building a workforce of people with varied backgrounds where individual differences are appreciated.
At Husch Blackwell, we reinforce diversity through a variety of actions and initiatives:
- Husch Blackwell received a perfect score of 100 percent from the Human Rights Campaign Foundation on its 2017 Corporate Equality Index, earning the distinction of being among the “Best Places to Work for LGBT Equality.”
- We are the largest law firm in the country with an African-American as its chairman.
- Approximately 48 percent of our associates are women.
- We are a lead sponsor of a new LGBTQ+ scholarship program launched by the Cream City Foundation that disbursed $43,500 in scholarship funds to 31 students in the Milwaukee area.
- We received an “A” grade on the 2016 Diversity Report Card by the Austin Black Lawyers Association for our exceptional minority recruitment, hiring and retention efforts.
- Women lead our Real Estate, Development & Construction industry group; our Austin, Madison and Memphis offices; and hold key administrative leadership roles, including chief talent officer, director of recruiting and director of risk management.
- Our chairman and firm are active members of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, an organization of corporate chief legal officers and law firm leaders who have dedicated themselves to creating a truly diverse profession.
- We are a member of the Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law.
- Since 2004, we have actively continued to develop True North, the firm’s own professional enrichment program for female attorneys and clients.
- Our lawyers and staff have played key leadership roles for the Heartland Diversity Legal Job Fair in Kansas City, Mo., and the St. Louis Diversity Job Fair.
- We have supported scholarship programs that assist minority law students at Washington University in St. Louis, Saint Louis University, the University of Missouri-Columbia, the University of Missouri-Kansas City and the University of Kansas.
- Under the firm’s alternative work schedule policy, we encourage attorneys to request part-time or flex-time work schedules rather than leave the firm or the practice of law.
- The firm’s partner evaluation and commitment plans ask for specific actions that each partner has taken to foster our diversity enhancement efforts.
- We are signatories to the diversity commitments and action plans of local bar associations, including the Kansas City Bar Association’s Diversity Action Plan and the Omaha (Neb.) Diversity Commitment.