Why It Matters
Diversity is at the very heart of our ability to serve our clients well. A diverse team, with a variety of insights, talents and experiences, provides the fullest range of perspectives and solutions to client matters. We believe that a culture of inclusivity and openness enhances our commitment to serve our clients, profession and community by building a workforce of people with varied backgrounds where individual differences are appreciated.
At Husch Blackwell, we reinforce diversity through a variety of actions and initiatives:
- We are the largest law firm in the country with an African-American as its chairman.
- Approximately 45 percent of our associates are women.
- Women lead our Real Estate, Development & Construction industry group; our Memphis office; and hold key administrative leadership roles, including director of finance, director of recruiting and director of risk management.
- Our chairman and firm are active members of the Leadership Council on Legal Diversity, an organization of corporate chief legal officers and law firm leaders who have dedicated themselves to creating a truly diverse profession.
- We are a member of the Coalition of Women’s Initiatives in Law.
- Since 2004, we have actively continued to develop True North, the firm’s own professional enrichment program for female attorneys and clients.
- Our lawyers and staff have played key leadership roles for the Heartland Diversity Legal Job Fair in Kansas City, Mo., and the St. Louis Diversity Job Fair.
- We have supported scholarship programs that assist minority law students at Washington University in St. Louis, Saint Louis University, the University of Missouri-Columbia, the University of Missouri-Kansas City and the University of Kansas.
- Under the firm’s alternative work schedule policy, we encourage attorneys to request part-time or flex-time work schedules rather than leave the firm or the practice of law.
- The firm’s partner evaluation and commitment plans ask for specific actions that each partner has taken to foster our diversity enhancement efforts.
- We are signatories to the diversity commitments and action plans of local bar associations, including the Kansas City Bar Association’s Diversity Action Plan and the Omaha (Neb.) Diversity Commitment.
Our accomplishments in the area of diversity have been recognized locally and nationally:
- Husch Blackwell received a 90 percent rating in the 2015 Corporate Equality Index administered by the Human Rights Campaign Foundation. The firm’s high score reflects a commitment to equality for its lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees and clients.
- The firm’s Austin, Texas, office received an “A” on the Austin Law Firm Diversity Report Card for the second consecutive year, as reported in the April 2013 edition of Texas Lawyer. The report provides a grade based on the percentage of minority attorneys in each firm, among other factors, for the 27 largest law firms in Austin.
- Working Mother magazine and Flex-Time Lawyers selected Husch Blackwell as one of the “50 Best Law Firms for Women” in 2012. The firm was praised for its family-friendly policies and business development initiatives aimed at retaining women and advancing them into the leadership pipeline.
- Husch Blackwell and Chairman Maurice Watson received the Urban League of Greater Kansas City’s 2012 Difference Maker Award for the firm’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
To learn more: