Husch Blackwell Chicago Office Managing Partner A. Sidney Katz will receive the 2010 Judge Learned Hand Human Relations Award. The award will be presented to Katz by the American Jewish Committee (AJC) on December 8.
Previous recipients of this award include the following attorneys from the Chicago Area:
- Hon. James R. Thompson, CEO, Winston & Strawn LLP, former Illinois Governor and U.S. Attorney
- Jerold S. Solovy, Chairman Emeritus, Jenner & Block
- Lee Miller, Joint CEO/Partner, DLA Piper
- Thomas A. Cole, Chairman, Sidley & Austin
- Marshall E. Eisenberg, Founding Partner, Neal, Gerber & Eisenberg LLP
- Tyrone C. Fahner, Past Chairman, Mayer Brown, former Illinois Attorney General
- James H.M. Sprayregen, Partner, Kirkland & Ellis
- Lowell E. Sachnoff, Partner, Reed Smith Sachnoff & Weaver
- Seymour Simon, former Illinois Supreme Court Justice
- Max Wildman, Founding Partner, Wildman, Harold, Allen & Dixen
- Jean Allard, Chicago Metropolitan Planning Council
- Anne M. Burke, Illinois Supreme Court Justice
- Dan Webb, Chairman, Winston & Strawn, LLP, former U.S. Attorney
- Theodore R. Tetzlaff, Partner, Ungaretti & Harris LLP
- Anton R. Valukas, Chairman, Jenner & Block, former U.S. Attorney
Established in 1906, the AJC has developed programs and conducted research to combat discrimination of all kinds to and promote human rights. The Human Relations Award was established in memory of The Hon. Judge Learned Hand, Senior Judge of the U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit, from 1924 to1951. Judge Hand was highly admired among his peers and known specifically for his work on many cases centering on constitutional rights issues.
Katz is a member of the firm's Partner Board and Chair of the firm's Intellectual Property Group. He is engaged primarily in client counseling, licensing and litigation concerning all areas of intellectual property law, including patents, trademarks and copyrights. In addition to his involvement with the AJC, Katz is involved in many other philanthropic and community programs. He is on the Intellectual Property Advisory Board for The George Washington School of Law, on the International Board of Governors for Hebrew University, an Advisory Board member of The IP Litigator, a member of the Standard Club of Chicago, the Union League Club of Chicago and the Chicago Bar Association.